This one is a quick activity because let’s be honest, a two year old’s attention span requires VERY quick activities!!
I modeled writing a letter (I chose C not only because it’s the first letter of Carter’s name but also because it only requires the hand to move in one motion). I then drew the dots, explaining to him that a ‘c moves from the top, around and down’ and gave him the texta so he could trace the dots. He loved it!
Really important things to remember with this one:
- Show them the starting point, which dot to start at.
- Encouragement and positive reinforcement is really important.
- Close enough is good enough. They don’t need to trace exactly over the dots.
- Don’t worry too much about pencil/texta grip. You need to choose your focus. If it’s a tracing activity, forget about the grip-don’t overload them with too much information.
- Display their work-handwriting is hard work and requires a lot of concentration. put it on the fridge for all to see!!
- The more experience they have with writing the more confident they will become and the greater strength and control they will have over the pencil. Make it fun and also keep it short and simple.